Now, UK seeks semicon ties with India!
Just a couple of days ago, I had touched upon the growing global interest in the Indian semiconductor industry. Well, late last evening, I was present at the release of an important study that seeks collaborations between semicon firms from India and the UK! Talk about interest!!
The India Semiconductor Association (ISA) and the UK Trade & Investment and Science & Innovation Network has launched a study titled “Scope for collaboration between India and the UK in semiconductor driven industry 2008”. The report was launched by Richard Hyde, head – British Trade Office, Bangalore and ISA chairman Jaswinder Ahuja.
Given India’s growing presence in the global semicon industry, the study comes at the right time. UK and Indian semiconductor firms can collaborate to boost India’s IP creation and build next-generation products. There are potential synergies between the two nations in areas such as design, applications and devices.
Indian semicon firms specialize in VLSI, hardware/board-level design and embedded systems in wireless communications, computing and networking. In turn, the UK’s strength lies in IP creation and complete product development.
Richard Hyde remarked that there was lot of compatibility between the UK and Indian semiconductor companies. The study also laid the foundation for the forthcoming Semi Conclave, scheduled for September 15-16 in Bangalore, to be followed by similar events in Hyderabad and New Delhi. “It will bring together the industry and the academia, along with a visiting delegation from the UK.” This event will be jointly organized by ISA, UKTI and SIN.
V. Ravichandar, CMD, Feedback Consulting said the first challenge while preparing the study was to find high-quality data. The ISA in India and the NMI in the UK had such data.
He added: “Firms that exist in India and the UK are essentially design firms. They become complementary as you collaborate.” He highlighted IP creation and product development as the strength of the UK firms, and computing, networking and communications as the strength of the Indian semiconductor firms.
The best fit — Indian universities and UK universities — can be leveraged in the short run. Commenting on clusters, while these were built around places such as Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and New Delhi in India, the UK has clusters in South-East England — in hardware design, Scotland, East England — software engineering, and a balance mix of companies in the South-West of England. India can provide skills in VLSI and EDA, as well as the large talent pool.
The next best fit lies in collaboration between the UK companies and the talent pool in India, which could go a long way in bringing down the research costs. Another fit could be between the companies in the UK and India, or the UK universities and Indian companies. However, the Indian companies might not be able to bring in the kind of funding required for high-end R&D as they are not mature enough.
Another fit could well be sharing of best practices, such as those brought by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and EUROPRACTICE.
“The Indian government also needs to come forward beyond the semicon policy.” Ravichandar added. “There is scope for 30-40 percent reduction in R&D expenses, should collaborations happen between semicon firms from the UK and India.”
Poornima Shenoy, president, ISA, added that the ISA had initiated a Country Series, focusing on specific geographies of relevance to the industry. The report with UKTI is the first in this series.
Welcome to my blog!
Friends, I've won world titles a whopping 13 times in a row! ;)
* Pradeep's Point - World's Best Blog in Electronics Hardware, Electronics Weekly, UK, Dec. 2008.
* Pradeep's Point - Honorable Mention, Best Tech Blog -- Blognet Awards USA, Feb. 2009.
* Pradeep's Point, - Winner, Best Tech Site, Green Gadget, USA, May 2011.
* Pradeep's Point - Blog Influencer, Gorkana, UK, Jun. 2012.
* Pradeep’s Point - Best Blog. by Elite Techno, USA, Apr. 2015.
* Pradeep’s Point – Best Blog, by Online Geeks, USA, Apr. 2016.
* PC's Semiconductors Blog - Top Media Blog Award, Online IT Degree, USA, Jun. 2010.
* PC's Electronics Components -- Top Resource, ElectricalEngineeringSchools.org, USA, Jun. 2013.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog - Top 101 Resources for Electrical Engineers, USA, Jul. 2014.
* PC’s Electronic Components Blog - Featured Blog, InsideTechKnow, USA, Feb. 2015.
* PC’s Electronic Components Blog - Featured Blog by Online Geeks, USA, Apr. 2016.
* PC's Telecom Blog - Best VoIP Blogs by HostedSwitch, USA, Oct. 2012.
* PC’s Electronics Blog - Featured Site – XploreEngineering.org, USA, Sep. 2015. p>
In July 2014, WebStatsDomain.org estimated Pradeep's Point at US $19.1 billion ;) Thanks everyone for your love and support! :)!
World Champion 2008! ;)
Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog was selected as the best in the world in the Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK.
- Top 10 embedded companies in India
- Focus on gyroscopes for mobile phone apps: Yole
- Solar PV industry scenario in India!
- Applied Vantage Vulcan RTP -- better side of anneal
- Top 15 producers of c-Si and thin film solar PV modules, and outlook 2011
- Top 10 Indian embedded companies!
- Cadence VLSI certification program (CVCP) aims to deliver 'industry grade' graduates
- PMC's DIGI 120G supports 10G, 40G and 100G speeds for OTN transport
- Altera Nios II processor gets Wind River Linux support
- 494,739 hits (Since 20th Aug. 2009 -- this day, my earlier blog got hit! Thanks for your very kind support dear readers and Wordpress)
Blognet Awards 2009!
World’s Leading Blog Influencer 2012!
- Accelerating EDA innovation through SoC design methodology convergence
- SEMICON Europa 2014 calls for innovators
- DVCon India 2014 aims to bring Indian design, verification and ESL community closer!
- Apple continues to ‘wow’ all over again!
- All of my blogs are now up for sale! ;)
- Cadence now realizing EDA 360 vision: Nimish Modi
- Need for efficient product development ecosystem: CDNLive 2014
- Diverse requirements for IoT evolving: Charlie Huang
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- Innovating in system of systems: Lip Bu-Tan
Click to Read
PC’s Semicon Blog Award 2010! :)
You Can’t Miss These!
- Everyone can go to esdm.in! ;) I just added esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Oh! You can go to esdm,in! ;) OR esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @XilinxEMEA Apologies, I just saw this! :) I already cover Xilinx a lot! :) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Many thanks. Apologies, I saw this only now (today!) :) 1 year ago
- I have a new site esdm.in! ;) Feedback please, if possible! :) 1 year ago