India is Xilinx’s most active region for design activity!
Xilinx has been a global leader in programmable logic solutions with over 51 percent market share during 2007, according to iSuppli. PLDs represent an exciting growth potential in the chip market thanks to their flexible nature and ability to change functionality even after being manufactured.
I caught up with Vincent Ratford, Senior Vice President, Solutions Development Group, Xilinx, to find out more about the company’s role in India. Firstly, Xilinx clearly sees India and Asia/Pac as a high growth area for its business.
Ratford said: “India itself has a lot of design activity with many of our customers working with design services and IP companies there. For that reason, we have invested in a large engineering team (125 people and grew last year at 60 percent) working on IP, software, system applications and IC design. These teams augment global development teams around the world with some teams having product responsibility.”
As a company, Xilinx tracks design activity and production, and India is its most active region for design activity. It is also investing a lot in university programs.
He added: “We have significant market share in India vs. the other FPGA vendors. We expect this to continue. We are investing heavily in our Xilinx University Program providing tool, board, training for professors and setting up FPGA, embedded and DSP curriculums. We have a strong technical team supporting customers locally either directly or alongside of our distribution partners.”
So how does Xilinx view the strength of the Indian embedded design segment? Ratford referred to EETimes, which conducts a survey annually on embedded processing. The most recent data showed only about 1/3 of the embedded users using FPGAs, but over 50 percent of them were considering.
He said: “I think we have just scratched the surface on our embedded opportunity. We have over 10k licensed embedded users worldwide, with the smallest percentage in Asia/Pac, but it’s growing rapidly.
“We think there is a lot of unlicensed, and therefore, untracked useage. Going forward, we will be able to track adoption more closely. We are now starting to track useage with our WebTalk tool and have found that about half of the designs using our latest 10.1 release have processors on them. Finally, when we conduct seminars and workshops worldwide, our embedded sessions are the most heavily attended.”
On the role that Xilinx would be playing in India, he said: “Today, we have a strong offering in soft and hard processors for our Virtex and Spartan series FPGAs. We are investing in training and providing development kits to expand the number of embedded developers who can support our platforms.
“We have been developing embedded peripherals, device drivers and are now starting to develop embedded tools there. We expect to expand this. So it’s market development, product development and enabling our ecosystem partners to build on top of our platforms. We are investing in India faster than any other region and plan to leverage our development team there.”
Welcome to my blog!
That’s Me! ;)
* Pradeep's Point - Winner, World's Best Blog in Electronic Hardware -- Electronics Weekly, UK (December 2008).
* Pradeep's Point - Honorable Mention for Best Technology Blog, Blognet Awards 2009 (February 2009).
* Green Gadget of Texas, USA, awarded Pradeep's Point as the "Featured Tech Site" for 2011!
* Gorkana, UK, awarded Pradeep's Point as the Blog Influencer 2012.
* Pradeep's Point won an award from Elite Techno, USA, April 2015.
* Pradeep's Point - Best Blog by Online Geeks, USA, April 2016.
* Pradeep's Point - Featured Tech Site by Beyond-Innovation, USA, June 2016 :)
Pradeep’s Point – Best Tech Blog, IndyWood Media Excellence Awards, Hyderabad, India, Sept. 2016 :)
Also, I won the following too! ;)
PC's Semicon Blog won once, Electronic Components four times, Electronics Blog and Telecom Blog once each. See below: :)
* PC's Semicon Blog was awarded the Top Digital Media Blog by Online IT Degree (November 2010).
* PC's Electronic Components Blog was awarded Top Resource for Electrical Engineers by ElectricalEngineeringSchools.org, USA, July 2013.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog ranked among “The 101 Best Resources for Electrical Engineers,” by Pannam Imaging, USA August 2014.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by InsideTechKnow, USA, Feb. 2015.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by Online Geeks, USA, April 2016.
* PC's Telecom Blog listed among Best VoIP blogs by HostedSwitch! :)
* PC's Electronics Blog selected as Featured Site of the Day - XploreEngineering.org, USA.
World Champion 2008! ;)
Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog was selected as the best in the world in the Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK.
- Top 10 embedded companies in India
- Durga Puja in Bangalore -- places to visit
- Cadence's Virtuoso vs. Synopsys' Galaxy Custom Designer!
- Growing Indian power electronics market provides host of opportunities
- Cadence Allegro 16.6 accelerates timing closure
- Ph.D candidates in VLSI industry! Is enough being done?
- Top-10 solar cell suppliers in 2009: iSuppli
- What does it take for students to be (semiconductor) industry-ready
- Cadence VLSI certification program (CVCP) aims to deliver 'industry grade' graduates
- Semicon rankings 2009: Global revenue dips, but did anyone tell that to Apac suppliers?
- 521,690 hits (Since 20th Aug. 2009 -- this day, my earlier blog got hit! Thanks for your very kind support dear readers and Wordpress)
Blognet Awards 2009!
World’s Leading Blog Influencer 2012!
- Accelerating EDA innovation through SoC design methodology convergence
- SEMICON Europa 2014 calls for innovators
- DVCon India 2014 aims to bring Indian design, verification and ESL community closer!
- Apple continues to ‘wow’ all over again!
- All of my blogs are now up for sale! ;)
- Cadence now realizing EDA 360 vision: Nimish Modi
- Need for efficient product development ecosystem: CDNLive 2014
- Diverse requirements for IoT evolving: Charlie Huang
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- Innovating in system of systems: Lip Bu-Tan
Click to Read
PC’s Semicon Blog Award 2010! :)
You Can’t Miss These!
- Friends, I've won the IndyWood Media Excellence Awards 2016 at Ramoji Film City, Hyderabad, India! :) https://t.co/u5nMc5PtVf 3 months ago
- My interview with EEWeb :) eeweb.com/spotlight/inte… Thanks everyone! :) 4 months ago
- Everyone can go to esdm.in! ;) I just added esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Oh! You can go to esdm,in! ;) OR esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @XilinxEMEA Apologies, I just saw this! :) I already cover Xilinx a lot! :) 1 year ago