Embedded computing — 15mn devices not so far away!
It has been close to three weeks since the Intel IDF @ Taipei, Taiwan. However, way too many things happened there, which still deserve a mention. One such event would be the keynote on embedded Internet by Doug Davis, Intel’s Vice President, Digital Enterprise Group and General Manager, Embedded and Communications Group.
Today, there are 5 billion connected devices, and this number should likely go up to 15 billion by 2015, as per IDC. However, technology barriers need to be overcome. Davis cited these challenges as reliability and long life, software scalability, low power and low cost, privacy and data security, IPv4 addressing and open standards. As of now, the Intel architecture (IA) is said to be (due to lack of any good competition) the preferred architecture for the embedded Internet.
While on embedded products, post the Intel Atom processor, Davis said that the Menlow XL is likely for a Q1-09 introduction. The associated market segments include retail, PoS, digital signage, kiosks, vending, ATM, etc.
On digital PoS for retail markets, Davis highlighted India, and rightly so, adding that digital retail PoS would find applications, given the growing and quite affluent Indian middle class. Such a digital PoS device could improve inventory management and transaction security, allow more efficient space utilization, etc. Yet another application is digital signage for business intelligence [as informative displays].
Davis showed all of us MediaCart’s example. MediaCart is providing a unique shopping experience. It is trying to revolutionize the shopping experience with a computerized shopping cart that assists shoppers, delivers targeted communications at the point of purchase, and streamlines store operations. Incidentally, Singapore’s Venture GES was contracted by MediaCart to develop the new shopping experience cart.
Pervasive embedded computing
Davis believes that embedded computing would become more pervasive in the days ahead. “The Intel architecture has all of the unparalleled scalability to meet these needs,” he added.
Davis estimated that China could go on to become the world’s largest semiconductor market over the next five years or so. Semiconductor TAM for industrial automation is likely to grow from $13.5 billion in 2008 to $17.5 billion in 2012. India is said to be the second largest destination for industrial automation, which is interesting, and something to look forward to.
We have all had some visions, sometimes of how a digital factory would look like? And, who would be working at such a factory. Possibly, robots, or industrial robots would make up the attendance!
Well, if KUKA, a company that builds the world’s leading robotic and automation devices is to be believed, we are a little closer than before to this vision or dream. Bruno Geiger, managing director, Asia Pacific, KUKA, pointed out in his chat with Davis that the company makes robotic and automation devices based on Intel’s platorms. That, ‘takes us closer to the vision of a digital factory!’ This is a great example of multi-core in industrial automation.
Portal for embedded designers
Getting back to the embedded Internet, Davis said that the greatest challenge for customers is to integrate new technologies. To address this need, Intel is investing in a new Web portal for embedded designers. He announced that the Intel Architecture Embedded Design Center, a Web portal for embedded designers, will likely get launched in the spring of 2009. This is indeed something to look forward to!
Asia has all the trappings to become the largest market for embedded computing, and Taiwan, the largest market for automation. Well, don’t count India out! Embedded systems and software is India’s strength, and don’t be surprised to see and hear about lots of such activities from the country.
Welcome to my blog!
Friends, I've won world titles a whopping 13 times in a row! ;)
* Pradeep's Point - World's Best Blog in Electronics Hardware, Electronics Weekly, UK, Dec. 2008.
* Pradeep's Point - Honorable Mention, Best Tech Blog -- Blognet Awards USA, Feb. 2009.
* Pradeep's Point, - Winner, Best Tech Site, Green Gadget, USA, May 2011.
* Pradeep's Point - Blog Influencer, Gorkana, UK, Jun. 2012.
* Pradeep’s Point - Best Blog. by Elite Techno, USA, Apr. 2015.
* Pradeep’s Point – Best Blog, by Online Geeks, USA, Apr. 2016.
* PC's Semiconductors Blog - Top Media Blog Award, Online IT Degree, USA, Jun. 2010.
* PC's Electronics Components -- Top Resource, ElectricalEngineeringSchools.org, USA, Jun. 2013.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog - Top 101 Resources for Electrical Engineers, USA, Jul. 2014.
* PC’s Electronic Components Blog - Featured Blog, InsideTechKnow, USA, Feb. 2015.
* PC’s Electronic Components Blog - Featured Blog by Online Geeks, USA, Apr. 2016.
* PC's Telecom Blog - Best VoIP Blogs by HostedSwitch, USA, Oct. 2012.
* PC’s Electronics Blog - Featured Site – XploreEngineering.org, USA, Sep. 2015. p>
In July 2014, WebStatsDomain.org estimated Pradeep's Point at US $19.1 billion ;) Thanks everyone for your love and support! :)!
World Champion 2008! ;)
Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog was selected as the best in the world in the Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK.
- Top 10 embedded companies in India
- Flip Chip: An established platform still in mutation!
- Durga Puja in Bangalore -- places to visit
- Top 10 Indian embedded companies!
- Cowan's LRA model's global semiconductor sales forecast
- Ph.D candidates in VLSI industry! Is enough being done?
- Cadence VLSI certification program (CVCP) aims to deliver 'industry grade' graduates
- WLCSP market and industrial trends
- Indian Microelectronics Academy (IMA) formed to build, nurture and grow start-ups!
- What does it take for students to be (semiconductor) industry-ready
- 494,540 hits (Since 20th Aug. 2009 -- this day, my earlier blog got hit! Thanks for your very kind support dear readers and Wordpress)
Blognet Awards 2009!
World’s Leading Blog Influencer 2012!
- Accelerating EDA innovation through SoC design methodology convergence
- SEMICON Europa 2014 calls for innovators
- DVCon India 2014 aims to bring Indian design, verification and ESL community closer!
- Apple continues to ‘wow’ all over again!
- All of my blogs are now up for sale! ;)
- Cadence now realizing EDA 360 vision: Nimish Modi
- Need for efficient product development ecosystem: CDNLive 2014
- Diverse requirements for IoT evolving: Charlie Huang
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- Innovating in system of systems: Lip Bu-Tan
Click to Read
PC’s Semicon Blog Award 2010! :)
You Can’t Miss These!
- Everyone can go to esdm.in! ;) I just added esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Oh! You can go to esdm,in! ;) OR esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @XilinxEMEA Apologies, I just saw this! :) I already cover Xilinx a lot! :) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Many thanks. Apologies, I saw this only now (today!) :) 1 year ago
- I have a new site esdm.in! ;) Feedback please, if possible! :) 1 year ago