Is the Indian semicon industry losing the plot?
Every time I see a new electronics or related segment being talked about in India — be it medical electronics/healthcare, RFID and smart cards, or for that matter, telecom, why do I get this feeling that the Indian semicon industry is slowly losing the plot? One hopes not!
The Indian technology industry is talking about practically everything, except semiconductors. Yes, I know we have a great pool of designers who work in the MNCs. Also, there are plenty of Indian design services companies doing excellent work (for others?). India’s strength in embedded is folk lore. Despite all of this, we are, where we were a few years ago!
Back in 2007, I’d done a story on how there were very remote chances of having a fab in India. Back then, some industry folks expressed optimism that the fab story was not dead! However, that story is well and truly dead and buried, as of now! Today, no one wants to talk about a fab — fine, then!
Let’s do a reality check on India’s semiconductor score-card!
So far, India has not even managed to have a small foundry, forget about having a fab! Nor has the Indian industry managed to develop, nurture and build many (or any?) fabless companies of note. Can you tell me how many Indian fabless semicon companies have come up in the past five years? How many globally known Indian semicon product start-ups are there in our country for that matter? Okay, how many Indian semicon product start-ups are there in our country?
For that matter, how many ATMP units have come up in India? I do recall some industry folks mention in the past that there will be some ATMP units happening. Where are they? Okay, who, in India, is even trying to develop IP libraries?
Even if there is some success in building electronic product companes — that is and will be limited success! Neither is there any evidence of cutting-edge R&D being done in India. Please do not mix this up with the work being done by the Indian arms of the various MNCs.
Why, I don’t even think that the industry-academia partnership has developed substantially, leave alone mature!
If medical electronics, or some other related area, were to go on and succeed in the near future, it would be counted as a success for the Indian electronics industry, and not for the Indian semicon industry! Even if this did happen and it was counted as a ‘semicon success, can anyone make a guess as to how many of the chips going into such devices would be actually made in India – by Indian firms?
I had mentioned back in Feb. 2009 that “Can the Indian semicon industry dream big? (And even buy Qimonda?)! To refresh your memory, there was a large 300mm fab up for sale in Dresden, Germany. Well, even that never happened, or well, the Indian industry did not think it to be of much importance!
Back in August 2009, there was news about Texas Instruments (TI) placing a bid of $172.5 million for buying Qimonda’s 300mm production tools from its closed DRAM fab. While this highlighted TI’s focus on building the world’s first 300mm analog fab, I can’t stop wondering: what would have happened had an Indian investor actually bought Qimonda’s fab!
Perhaps, it would be better for the Indian semicon industry to stick to its globally known strengths of providing excellent semiconductor design services and embedded design services. At least, there will be clear direction in these areas.
Of course, there exist huge opportunities in all of the areas (or gaps) that I’ve touched upon.
Welcome to my blog!
Friends, I've won world titles a whopping TEN times in a row! ;) 1. Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog selected as best in world in Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK. 2. It received an Honorable Mention @ Blognet Awards 2009!. 3. PC’s Semicon Blog awarded Top Digital Media Blog by Online IT Degree (in Nov. 2010). 4. Green Gadget, Texas, USA, awarded Pradeep's Point as Featured Tech Site” for 2011! 5. In 2012, Gorkana, UK, selected Pradeep's Point as Blog Influencer! 6. In Feb. 2013. PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as 100 Top Resources for Electrical Engineers on ElectricalEngineeringSchools.org, USA. 7. In Aug. 2014, PC's Electronic Components Blog ranked 11th in "Top 101 Best Resources for Electrical Engineers.” 8. PC's Telecom Blog in Best VoIP Blogs by HostedSwitch, USA. 9. PC’s Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by InsideTechKnow, USA in Feb. 2015. 10. Pradeep’s Point won an award from Elite Techno, USA, Apr. 2015 - making it a TRIPLE HAT-TRICK of global awards!! :)
In July 2014, WebStatsDomain.org estimated Pradeep's Point at US $19.1 billion ;) Thanks everyone for your love and support! :)!
World Champion 2008! ;)
Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog was selected as the best in the world in the Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK.
- Top 10 embedded companies in India
- Durga Puja in Bangalore -- places to visit
- Top 10 Indian embedded companies!
- Seeking jobs in embedded! Can anyone help?
- VLSI as a career in India
- Ph.D candidates in VLSI industry! Is enough being done?
- What does it take for students to be (semiconductor) industry-ready
- Cadence VLSI certification program (CVCP) aims to deliver 'industry grade' graduates
- Delivering 10X design improvements: Dr. Walden C. Rhines, Mentor Graphics @ VLSID 2010
- VDAT 2010: Encourage Indian students to come up with product ideas and specs
- 468,939 hits (Since 20th Aug. 2009 -- this day, my earlier blog got hit! Thanks for your very kind support dear readers and Wordpress)
Blognet Awards 2009!
World’s Leading Blog Influencer 2012!
- Accelerating EDA innovation through SoC design methodology convergence
- SEMICON Europa 2014 calls for innovators
- DVCon India 2014 aims to bring Indian design, verification and ESL community closer!
- Apple continues to ‘wow’ all over again!
- All of my blogs are now up for sale! ;)
- Cadence now realizing EDA 360 vision: Nimish Modi
- Need for efficient product development ecosystem: CDNLive 2014
- Diverse requirements for IoT evolving: Charlie Huang
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- Innovating in system of systems: Lip Bu-Tan
Click to Read
PC’s Semicon Blog Award 2010! :)
You Can’t Miss These!
- Everyone can go to esdm.in! ;) I just added esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 4 months ago
- @bosemicrowave Oh! You can go to esdm,in! ;) OR esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 4 months ago
- @XilinxEMEA Apologies, I just saw this! :) I already cover Xilinx a lot! :) 4 months ago
- @bosemicrowave Many thanks. Apologies, I saw this only now (today!) :) 4 months ago
- I have a new site esdm.in! ;) Feedback please, if possible! :) 7 months ago