‘Long wait’ for Indian semiconductor industry?
I still don’t quite understand the submission made by the IT Taskforce on recommendations for the Indian hardware and electronics manufacturing! The first proposal was submitted by this Taskforce, back in Nov. 2009! Now, a leading daily comes out with a report about a new prescription to boost electronics manufacturing. What is all this?
By itself, isn’t this a ‘long wait’ for the Indian semiconductor and electronics industries?
I repeat: Have we really done enough, even in the past, to even boost electronics hardware manufacturing in the country? If yes, then where are the mini Hsinchus and Shenzhens within India? N. Vittal had said something similar (such as developing mini Hong Kongs and Singapores) some years ago, but that seems ages ago, now!
Back in April 2010, I had written a post titled: Did you know that the Indian semicon policy had expired and now requires an extension? The next thing one heard was in July 2010: Indian industry proposes to extend deadline of India’s semicon policy up to March 2015!
What is really happening with the Indian semiconductor industry? First up, the semiconductor indusrty is NOT the IT industry. However, it appears that it is being treated like one!
Did anyone really look into the reason why fabs never happened in round 1 of the SIPS? Perhaps, not! I had asked a question, back in Feb. 2009: The Indian silicon wafer fab story seems dead and buried. Should we revive it?
Lest I be repetitive, and boring, I had suggested a 10-point program for the Karnataka semicon policy — in another blog post — on June 29, 2008. The points were:
1. A long-term semiconductor policy running 20-25 years or so.
2. Core team of top Indian leaders from Indian firms and MNCs, as well as technology institutes in Karnataka to oversee policy implementation.
3. Incentives such as government support, including stake in investments, and tax holidays.
4. Strong infrastructure availability and management.
5. Focus on having solar/PV fabs in the state.
6. Consider having 150/180/200mm fabs that tackle local problems via indigenous applications.
7. Develop companies in the assembly testing, verification and packaging (ATMP) space.
8. Attract companies in fields such as RFID, to address local problems and develop local applications.
9. Pursue companies in PDP, OLED/LED space to set up manufacturing units.
10. Promote and set up more fabless units.
All that one needs to do is to simply extend this all across India, rather than waste time in devising policies that have either expired, or well, take ages to see the light of the day! We should also refrain from discussing wafer fabs for now, and focus on fabless. Although, if we do attract and develop a local fab, that would be great for India!
Wonder, whether anyone in India is even listening!
Welcome to my blog!
That’s Me! ;)
* Pradeep's Point - Winner, World's Best Blog in Electronic Hardware -- Electronics Weekly, UK (December 2008).
* Pradeep's Point - Honorable Mention for Best Technology Blog, Blognet Awards 2009 (February 2009).
* Green Gadget of Texas, USA, awarded Pradeep's Point as the "Featured Tech Site" for 2011!
* Gorkana, UK, awarded Pradeep's Point as the Blog Influencer 2012.
* Pradeep's Point won an award from Elite Techno, USA, April 2015.
* Pradeep's Point - Best Blog by Online Geeks, USA, April 2016.
* Pradeep's Point - Featured Tech Site by Beyond-Innovation, USA, June 2016 :)
PC's Semicon Blog won once, Electronic Components four times, Electronics Blog and Telecom Blog once each. See below: :)
* PC's Semicon Blog was awarded the Top Digital Media Blog by Online IT Degree (November 2010).
* PC's Electronic Components Blog was awarded Top Resource for Electrical Engineers by ElectricalEngineeringSchools.org, USA, July 2013.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog ranked among “The 101 Best Resources for Electrical Engineers,” by Pannam Imaging, USA August 2014.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by InsideTechKnow, USA, Feb. 2015.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by Online Geeks, USA, April 2016.
* PC's Telecom Blog listed among Best VoIP blogs by HostedSwitch! :)
* PC's Electronics Blog selected as Featured Site of the Day - XploreEngineering.org, USA.
World Champion 2008! ;)
Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog was selected as the best in the world in the Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK.
- Top 10 embedded companies in India
- Durga Puja in Bangalore -- places to visit
- Top 10 Indian embedded companies!
- WLCSP market and industrial trends
- MEMS devices driving healthcare apps!
- What's with attack toolkits and malicious websites?
- ST/Freescale intro 32-bit MCUs for safety critical applications
- VLSI as a career in India
- 500,464 hits (Since 20th Aug. 2009 -- this day, my earlier blog got hit! Thanks for your very kind support dear readers and Wordpress)
Blognet Awards 2009!
World’s Leading Blog Influencer 2012!
- Accelerating EDA innovation through SoC design methodology convergence
- SEMICON Europa 2014 calls for innovators
- DVCon India 2014 aims to bring Indian design, verification and ESL community closer!
- Apple continues to ‘wow’ all over again!
- All of my blogs are now up for sale! ;)
- Cadence now realizing EDA 360 vision: Nimish Modi
- Need for efficient product development ecosystem: CDNLive 2014
- Diverse requirements for IoT evolving: Charlie Huang
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- Innovating in system of systems: Lip Bu-Tan
Click to Read
PC’s Semicon Blog Award 2010! :)
You Can’t Miss These!
- Everyone can go to esdm.in! ;) I just added esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Oh! You can go to esdm,in! ;) OR esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @XilinxEMEA Apologies, I just saw this! :) I already cover Xilinx a lot! :) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Many thanks. Apologies, I saw this only now (today!) :) 1 year ago
- I have a new site esdm.in! ;) Feedback please, if possible! :) 1 year ago