ARM connecting the world!
ARM is connecting the world today, according to John Cornish, VP and GM, Design Division ARM. Over 4 billion people are using ARM-powered mobile phones currently. He was speaking at the ARM Technical Symposium in Bangalore, India.
Looking at the end user product demand in 2010, there were 3.7 billion SoCs in mobile phones, 15.3 billion embedded and other SoCs, 1.5 billion SoCs in enterprises, 230 million units in client computing devices, etc. The end user product demand in 2015 will be 7.3 billion SoCs in mobile phones, 21.6 billion embedded and other SoCs, 750 million SoCs in client computing, 2.7 billion SoCs in enterprises, 1.2 billion SoCs in DTVs/STBs, and 110 million server and 140 million desktop and PC SoC devices.
It is well known that there are and will be billions of Internet connected devices. Mobile is now the nexus of this revolution. The computing revolution is driving computing, content and the cloud.
ARM is said to be scaling across the digital world. For instance, ARM technology is suitable for application processors across a huge range of devices. Chip suppliers can develop for multi-industrial applications. Also, OEMs can re-use software across mobile/consumer devices.
Despite all of this, there is still some way to go. As of now, 5.1 billion inhabitants of the planet don’t have access to the Internet, and 2.2 billion don’t have a mobile phone.
Cornish listed certain challenges such as the need for greater energy efficiency, greater software efficiency, improved security and diversity of solutions vital to address the opportunity.
Regarding smart energy-connected systems, he mentioned smart home energy management (HEM), smart meters, smart appliances, smart heating, home area networking, etc. “We will need smart devices that can be embedded on anything,” he added.
ARM delivers on four main aspects — provider of GPU technology, has the highest performing GPU market, enables better interconnect and provider of physical IP for highly optimized processor implementation.
ARM has reached scalability with its Cortex processors that provides compatibility across a diverse range of applications. The Cortex-M0 family is enabling mixed signal. The Cortex-R family includes the R5 and the R7, which will be released at the end of 2011. The Cortex-A family is in screens everywhere. The Cortex-A15 has introduced the cache coherent interconnect. Cornish advised that ARM’s processor optimization pack (POP includes the core optimized physical IP, certified benchmarking and implified knowledge.
GPU computing brings 100s of GFLOPs of processing power into the hands of developers. It is driving heterogenous computing to handle complex use cases. The ARM partnershio is said to enable strength in diversity — thereby enabling richer end-product offerings. The OS, web and applications are all optimized for ARM.
TrustZone, a system-wide approach to security, on high performance computing platforms for a huge array of applications, including secure payment, digital rights management (DRM), and web-based services.
The ARM Connected Community currently has 850+ partners. The ecosystem is built and evolved over many years. The flexible, diverse ARM ecosystem is continuously evolving to enable new paradigms across new markets.
Welcome to my blog!
That’s Me! ;)
* Pradeep's Point - Winner, World's Best Blog in Electronic Hardware -- Electronics Weekly, UK (December 2008).
* Pradeep's Point - Honorable Mention for Best Technology Blog, Blognet Awards 2009 (February 2009).
* Green Gadget of Texas, USA, awarded Pradeep's Point as the "Featured Tech Site" for 2011!
* Gorkana, UK, awarded Pradeep's Point as the Blog Influencer 2012.
* Pradeep's Point won an award from Elite Techno, USA, April 2015.
* Pradeep's Point - Best Blog by Online Geeks, USA, April 2016.
* Pradeep's Point - Featured Tech Site by Beyond-Innovation, USA, June 2016 :)
Pradeep’s Point – Best Tech Blog, IndyWood Media Excellence Awards, Hyderabad, India, Sept. 2016.
Pradeep's Point -- Top Blog for design and verification, AMIQ Consulting, Romania, Feb. 2017 :)
Also, I won the following too! ;)
PC's Semicon Blog won once, Electronic Components four times, Electronics Blog and Telecom Blog once each. See below: :)
* PC's Semicon Blog was awarded the Top Digital Media Blog by Online IT Degree (November 2010).
* PC's Electronic Components Blog was awarded Top Resource for Electrical Engineers by ElectricalEngineeringSchools.org, USA, July 2013.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog ranked among “The 101 Best Resources for Electrical Engineers,” by Pannam Imaging, USA August 2014.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by InsideTechKnow, USA, Feb. 2015.
* PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by Online Geeks, USA, April 2016.
* PC's Telecom Blog listed among Best VoIP blogs by HostedSwitch! :)
* PC's Electronics Blog selected as Featured Site of the Day - XploreEngineering.org, USA.
World Champion 2008! ;)
Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog was selected as the best in the world in the Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK.
- Top 10 embedded companies in India
- Durga Puja in Bangalore -- places to visit
- What does it take for students to be (semiconductor) industry-ready
- Now, I'm on Wikipedia! ;) Thanks everyone!! :)
- Solar Semiconductor's Hari Surapaneni on why solar is good for India!
- Solar PV
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- 524,410 hits (Since 20th Aug. 2009 -- this day, my earlier blog got hit! Thanks for your very kind support dear readers and Wordpress)
Blognet Awards 2009!
World’s Leading Blog Influencer 2012!
- Accelerating EDA innovation through SoC design methodology convergence
- SEMICON Europa 2014 calls for innovators
- DVCon India 2014 aims to bring Indian design, verification and ESL community closer!
- Apple continues to ‘wow’ all over again!
- All of my blogs are now up for sale! ;)
- Cadence now realizing EDA 360 vision: Nimish Modi
- Need for efficient product development ecosystem: CDNLive 2014
- Diverse requirements for IoT evolving: Charlie Huang
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- Innovating in system of systems: Lip Bu-Tan
Click to Read
PC’s Semicon Blog Award 2010! :)
You Can’t Miss These!
- Friends, I've won the IndyWood Media Excellence Awards 2016 at Ramoji Film City, Hyderabad, India! :) https://t.co/u5nMc5PtVf 5 months ago
- My interview with EEWeb :) eeweb.com/spotlight/inte… Thanks everyone! :) 5 months ago
- Everyone can go to esdm.in! ;) I just added esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @bosemicrowave Oh! You can go to esdm,in! ;) OR esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 1 year ago
- @XilinxEMEA Apologies, I just saw this! :) I already cover Xilinx a lot! :) 1 year ago