ARM connecting the world!
ARM is connecting the world today, according to John Cornish, VP and GM, Design Division ARM. Over 4 billion people are using ARM-powered mobile phones currently. He was speaking at the ARM Technical Symposium in Bangalore, India.
Looking at the end user product demand in 2010, there were 3.7 billion SoCs in mobile phones, 15.3 billion embedded and other SoCs, 1.5 billion SoCs in enterprises, 230 million units in client computing devices, etc. The end user product demand in 2015 will be 7.3 billion SoCs in mobile phones, 21.6 billion embedded and other SoCs, 750 million SoCs in client computing, 2.7 billion SoCs in enterprises, 1.2 billion SoCs in DTVs/STBs, and 110 million server and 140 million desktop and PC SoC devices.
It is well known that there are and will be billions of Internet connected devices. Mobile is now the nexus of this revolution. The computing revolution is driving computing, content and the cloud.
ARM is said to be scaling across the digital world. For instance, ARM technology is suitable for application processors across a huge range of devices. Chip suppliers can develop for multi-industrial applications. Also, OEMs can re-use software across mobile/consumer devices.
Despite all of this, there is still some way to go. As of now, 5.1 billion inhabitants of the planet don’t have access to the Internet, and 2.2 billion don’t have a mobile phone.
Cornish listed certain challenges such as the need for greater energy efficiency, greater software efficiency, improved security and diversity of solutions vital to address the opportunity.
Regarding smart energy-connected systems, he mentioned smart home energy management (HEM), smart meters, smart appliances, smart heating, home area networking, etc. “We will need smart devices that can be embedded on anything,” he added.
ARM delivers on four main aspects — provider of GPU technology, has the highest performing GPU market, enables better interconnect and provider of physical IP for highly optimized processor implementation.
ARM has reached scalability with its Cortex processors that provides compatibility across a diverse range of applications. The Cortex-M0 family is enabling mixed signal. The Cortex-R family includes the R5 and the R7, which will be released at the end of 2011. The Cortex-A family is in screens everywhere. The Cortex-A15 has introduced the cache coherent interconnect. Cornish advised that ARM’s processor optimization pack (POP includes the core optimized physical IP, certified benchmarking and implified knowledge.
GPU computing brings 100s of GFLOPs of processing power into the hands of developers. It is driving heterogenous computing to handle complex use cases. The ARM partnershio is said to enable strength in diversity — thereby enabling richer end-product offerings. The OS, web and applications are all optimized for ARM.
TrustZone, a system-wide approach to security, on high performance computing platforms for a huge array of applications, including secure payment, digital rights management (DRM), and web-based services.
The ARM Connected Community currently has 850+ partners. The ecosystem is built and evolved over many years. The flexible, diverse ARM ecosystem is continuously evolving to enable new paradigms across new markets.
Welcome to my blog!
Friends, I've won world titles a whopping TEN times in a row! ;) 1. Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog selected as best in world in Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK. 2. It received an Honorable Mention @ Blognet Awards 2009!. 3. PC’s Semicon Blog awarded Top Digital Media Blog by Online IT Degree (in Nov. 2010). 4. Green Gadget, Texas, USA, awarded Pradeep's Point as Featured Tech Site” for 2011! 5. In 2012, Gorkana, UK, selected Pradeep's Point as Blog Influencer! 6. In Feb. 2013. PC's Electronic Components Blog selected as 100 Top Resources for Electrical Engineers on ElectricalEngineeringSchools.org, USA. 7. In Aug. 2014, PC's Electronic Components Blog ranked 11th in "Top 101 Best Resources for Electrical Engineers.” 8. PC's Telecom Blog in Best VoIP Blogs by HostedSwitch, USA. 9. PC’s Electronic Components Blog selected as featured blog by InsideTechKnow, USA in Feb. 2015. 10. Pradeep’s Point won an award from Elite Techno, USA, Apr. 2015 - making it a TRIPLE HAT-TRICK of global awards!! :)
In July 2014, WebStatsDomain.org estimated Pradeep's Point at US $19.1 billion ;) Thanks everyone for your love and support! :)!
World Champion 2008! ;)
Pradeep Chakraborty's Blog was selected as the best in the world in the Electronic Hardware category for 2008-10, by Electronics Weekly, UK.
- Top 10 embedded companies in India
- Cadence VLSI certification program (CVCP) aims to deliver 'industry grade' graduates
- MEMS devices driving healthcare apps!
- Top 10 Indian embedded companies!
- Growing Indian power electronics market provides host of opportunities
- Durga Puja in Bangalore -- places to visit
- New set of rules in IGBT market
- INSIDE Contactless unveils SecuRead NFC solution for mobile handset market
- What does it take for students to be (semiconductor) industry-ready
- ST/Freescale intro 32-bit MCUs for safety critical applications
- 464,815 hits (Since 20th Aug. 2009 -- this day, my earlier blog got hit! Thanks for your very kind support dear readers and Wordpress)
Blognet Awards 2009!
World’s Leading Blog Influencer 2012!
- Accelerating EDA innovation through SoC design methodology convergence
- SEMICON Europa 2014 calls for innovators
- DVCon India 2014 aims to bring Indian design, verification and ESL community closer!
- Apple continues to ‘wow’ all over again!
- All of my blogs are now up for sale! ;)
- Cadence now realizing EDA 360 vision: Nimish Modi
- Need for efficient product development ecosystem: CDNLive 2014
- Diverse requirements for IoT evolving: Charlie Huang
- IoT gathering pace as revolution: Guru Ganesan
- Innovating in system of systems: Lip Bu-Tan
Click to Read
PC’s Semicon Blog Award 2010! :)
You Can’t Miss These!
- Everyone can go to esdm.in! ;) I just added esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 3 months ago
- @bosemicrowave Oh! You can go to esdm,in! ;) OR esdm.in/?p=3391 ;) 3 months ago
- @XilinxEMEA Apologies, I just saw this! :) I already cover Xilinx a lot! :) 3 months ago
- @bosemicrowave Many thanks. Apologies, I saw this only now (today!) :) 3 months ago
- I have a new site esdm.in! ;) Feedback please, if possible! :) 6 months ago